Error in adding domain to netlify site

Dear admin
I am not able to add custom domain “Pavank.in” to my website https://pavank.netlify.app geting error as “custom_domain is owned by another account”

please help us

Hey there, I can see that this domain was added to another Netlify account several years ago and remained unused. You should now be able to add this via the UI.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue with “hartsfinishing.co.uk”, can you take a look for me as well please?

Edit: Don’t worry, I’ve been looking into it and I think it’ll be easier to just use external DNS for what I’m after. Thanks anyway.

I was just looking in to this! Spooky. Happy that you’ve found a resolution to suit you :+1:.

1 Like

Hi @Pie, sorry - looks like I’ll need this looking at after all. It doesn’t look like I’m able to add a custom TLS cert without adding the custom domain initially, and cloudflare is complaining about the DNS name mismatch with the netlify cert.

We have a guide for that!

Thanks, but I can’t upload a TLS certificate without the custom domain being at least added to Netlify so even with the steps in this guide I’ll still need the domain removing from the account it was last added to.

Hi, @hartsfinishing. This is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

https://app.netlify.com/sites/SITE-NAME/settings/domain#custom-domains > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If you’re not sure, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

Thanks Luke, I’ve added the TXT record now and just linked this post.

This is a fairly new domain for me, and I’m setting this all up for the first time so I assume the domain will have been used by someone unrelated who registered it a long time ago.

Thanks again

Hey @hartsfinishing,
Thanks for verifying. We’ve removed that DNS zone from the other account so you should be able to use it on yours now. Please let us know if that’s not the case!

1 Like

Hurrah! :tada:

All working now, thanks for the help!