Error in adding custom domain: "Domain is already in use"

Hello!

I am trying to setup an additional custom domain for my site: elated-jang-a8e1f7.netlify.com. It currently has scuttlecamp.apileof.rocks pointing to it successfully.

I am trying to add the domain two.camp.scuttlebutt.nz, but am getting the error of the domain already in use. This domain is owned by a friend of mine, who setup the DNS records successfully for the site to point to netlify. If I run dig for both domains, it returns nearly identical results:

two.camp.scuttlebutt.nz:

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> two.camp.scuttlebutt.nz ns
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 18470
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;two.camp.scuttlebutt.nz.	IN	NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
two.camp.scuttlebutt.nz. 2864	IN	CNAME	elated-jang-a8e1f7.netlify.com.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
netlify.com.		48	IN	SOA	dns1.p04.nsone.net. hostmaster.nsone.net. 1575445504 43200 7200 1209600 3600

;; Query time: 52 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.178.1#53(192.168.178.1)
;; WHEN: Wed Dec 11 10:22:32 NZDT 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 161

scuttlecamp.apileof.rocks:

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> scuttlecamp.apileof.rocks ns
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 1067
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;scuttlecamp.apileof.rocks.	IN	NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
scuttlecamp.apileof.rocks. 3119	IN	CNAME	elated-jang-a8e1f7.netlify.com.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
netlify.com.		19	IN	SOA	dns1.p04.nsone.net. hostmaster.nsone.net. 1575445504 43200 7200 1209600 3600

;; Query time: 51 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.178.1#53(192.168.178.1)
;; WHEN: Wed Dec 11 10:23:01 NZDT 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 163

I also tried setting a couple different domains, just out of curiosity. When I attempted to set twoo.camp.scuttlebutt.nz and three.camp.scuttlebutt.nz and fun.camp.scuttlebutt.nz, it all returned the same error about the domain being in use. When I tried two.scuttlecamp.apileof.rocks and two.camp.coolguy.website, neither gave errors, and instead showed the expected ‘Check DNS configuration’.

I’ve looked at other similar questions on the community forum, but unfortunately they all seemed to be solved outside of the forum, with the main response being a notice that it’s been solved.

Has anyone else encountered this, or see something I am missing?

Thank you!

We do security checks so that domains set up on one account cannot be used on another without additional configuration by our Support staff. Someone named Mikey has a site setup already using a domain.scuttlebutt.nz so we’d need his permission to allow you to use that on our service. I see that he has in the meantime setup a “two.camp.scuttlebutt.nz” site so maybe he helped you get things configured? We can with his permission allow you to use his domain too, of course.

Hi! I’m having this same issue with our site apstudio.netlify.app and our domain apstudio-inc.com
It’s connected to an old account of a previous developer that has fallen out of contact with the client. Is there any way we can fix this issue without going through the previous developer? I believe the netlify site it’s connected to is ap-studio-inc.netlify.com

hi there, you can go through the steps outlined here:

Hi Perry,
We’ve followed these steps.

Hi Perry,
We’ve followed these steps and added the txt file. Can you let me know if you are ablee to use this to help.

Best,
Aarati

hi aarati,

thanks for that information. i have verified that you have the record we asked for in place, but i wanted to double check with you that as soon as we delete the record from the other site, the site that is currently reached when someone browses to apstudio-inc.com will no longer be accessible. are your sure that’s what you want?