Error: Failed to load config.yml (404)

Hi!
I’m trying to integrate Netlify CMS to a static Pelican website.
I can’t seem to access /admin as I get the following error:

Error: Failed to load config.yml
Check your config.yml file.

Here is the content of admin/index.html (I followed these instructions)

<!doctype html>
<html>
<head>
  <meta charset="utf-8" />
  <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0" />
  <title>Content Manager</title>
  <script src="https://identity.netlify.com/v1/netlify-identity-widget.js"></script>
</head>
<body>
  <!-- Include the script that builds the page and powers Netlify CMS -->
  <script src="https://unpkg.com/netlify-cms@^2.0.0/dist/netlify-cms.js"></script>
</body>
</html>

and here is the content of my config.yaml

backend:
  name: github-getaway
  branch: master

media_folder: "img/uploads" # Folder where user uploaded files should go
public_folder: "uploads"

collections: # A list of collections the CMS should be able to edit
  - name: "post" # Used in routes, ie.: /admin/collections/:slug/edit
    label: "Article" # Used in the UI, ie.: "New Post"
    folder: "content/news" # The path to the folder where the documents are stored
    format: markdown
    sort: "date:desc" # Default is title:asc
    create: true # Allow users to create new documents in this collection
    fields: # The fields each document in this collection have
      - {label: "Title", name: "title", widget: "string", tagname: "h2", class: "entry-title"}
      - {label: "Body", name: "body", widget: "markdown"}
    meta: # Meta data fields. Just like fields, but without any preview element
      - {label: "Publish Date", name: "date", widget: "datetime"}
      - {label: "Category", name: "category", widget: "string", default: "News"}

if needed, the website’s url is https://distracted-engelbart-20e42f.netlify.com

Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance,
J

You should use the .yml extension instead of .yaml. If you could share your repo I’d be happy to have a look.

Hi @joachimvu, it looks like you switched to using forestry, which looks to be working well. :slight_smile:

Hey guys, thanks for replying.
@tomrutgers the Netlify config error was just a dumb mistake from my part, I finally managed to get everything working, although as @Dennis pointed out, I was in a phase of testing multiple options, and ended up with Forestry (at least for this project) which is working equally fine.
I have to say, the UI is what made me stick with it against Netlify, as I found it much cleaner which is a big plus for the end user. If Netlify could support custom themes, I would probably use it instead to create a custom admin experience for my client.

Just wanted to point out that Netlify CMS is not the same as Netlify. These things are separate. So to clarify, you chose Forestry over Netlify CMS and not Netlify, since your site is still on Netlify.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes of course that’s what I meant, bad wording on my end :wink: I see how that would be confusing to an unaware reader though. Thanks for clarifying that @Dennis, in case someone else stumble upon this topic (although I can’t see any reason it would be helpful to anyone, maybe it should be closed?)