Download raw server access logs

Hello there!

Thank you for offering this amazing service. Although current implementation of Analytics marginally covers my use cases, I felt obliged to subscribe for it in order to give something back and keep Netlify running. :wink: However, I do have in mind one suggestion that would make Analytics way more useful.

I think it would be very helpful for everyone if you would offer raw access logs export. This would provide the information required for any exotic use case and will temporarily cover all use cases until items in roadmap get implemented. Do you want to compare custom date ranges or get stats for individual articles? Download the raw server logs and use AWStats or GoAccess or Scratchy or your favorite logs analyzer or even your own script!

Various download options may be implemented, like for example one file per month, or last month plus month-to-date, or only year-to-date, or only rolling 30-days… Any option would work if someone would regularly download the generated files. You are in a better position to judge the effort required and other variables for each option and to choose what to implement. Now, if you are thinking to support logs exporting with custom date ranges, or with API endpoints, that would fill me with great joy. :smiley:

Offering raw logs exports for Analytics customers is not competitive to the Analytics product, rather a supplement to it. Logs exports offer the option to do further analysis than what provided by the predetermined charts. My opinion is that log exports will make the Analytics product more lucrative. Imagine the next time you’ll answer a support request instead of “We can’t do this right now…” with “We can’t do this right now, but you can download…”; which sounds more appealing?

I know that you’re already gathering the data in order to analyze them and create the current reporting. Isn’t this feature a low hanging fruit that would worth prioritizing before implementing the rest of the Analytics roadmap?

Thank you for hearing this and again thank you for the great service you offer.

1 Like

Howdy & thanks so much for the thoughtful feedback!

We have put a lot of consideration into offering raw log download, and it is not practical for us at present. As a start, we are not permitted to give you any personally identifying information about your visitors, such as IP address and in some cases user agent due to the GDPR and other privacy laws, so the logs would need to be scrubbed first, at a minimum.

I have added your voice to the open feature request asking for this from some other customers, but I do not think it is likely to happen soon. Your best bet for getting better analytics information is asking for analytics to be improved, rather than asking for raw access logs - since we are still actively working on the analytics product.

Any feedback on that topic (improving analytics without offering raw access logs) would be most welcome and I would personally review it with the analytics development and project management team, so you can be sure it would be heard if you wanted to provide it :slight_smile: