[Domain verify added !] Mapping domains fails: custom_domain owned

Domain Ownership verification completed, see

Project desired to map to domain: https://dazzling-khorana-43f99a.netlify.app

I need help mapping my domains to my netlify builds. When I try to register my domain carbonight.net i get the error:

custom_domain is owned by another account

I have the issue that I started several projects under different accounts because I want to segregate responsibilities.

I only use github for logins but it seems to me that I forgot about one github account’s existence entirely - that is where I expect the domains to be registered.

I need help either a) finding the account’s github name that uses my domain of b) you telling me the root cause is a different one .

Much appreciated!

Hey there, this is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

https://app.netlify.com/sites/SITE-NAME/settings/domain#custom-domains > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If you’re not sure, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

Already did befpre posting, please check again @perry

hey @dawg,

we’re having a little trouble finding that domain - carbonight.net

Can you verify that there isn’t a typo? thanks!

Considering that the name did not seem to be in use on another site and you set up that verifying record for us, I did get it applied to the site you requested.

In general, you will NOT be able to share domains across netlify accounts. One account, should have any hosted DNS AND any sites using *.thatdomain.com. You are not intended to have multiple personal netlify logins or teams, though, so that shouldn’t be a problem :slight_smile: