Does Netlify support custom headers in the free tier?

I see in pricing page there is something called

Basic authentication headers

which is available in Pro plan.

What are basic authentication headers?

Does not Netlify support any form of header customization in free tier?

Basic authentication headers are basically rules for password protecting (parts of) your site. What you’re looking for are custom headers, which the free plan supports. Have a look here:

1 Like

Thanks for the response.

Cannot we use something like auth0 or Firebase authentication instead of basic authentication headers in order to have protected client routes (JAMstack website with authentication) in free tier?

FYI: Client-only Routes & User Authentication | Gatsby

It is hypothetically possible to do login/auth based content protection on the Starter plan. If you tell us more about your plan, we can confirm if it will work that way or not.

​Please let us know if there are other questions about this.

EDIT: (added below)

About headers, yes, you can set custom headers on the Starter plan. Starter isn’t technically “free tier” but it true that, unless paid add-ons are used, there is no charge for Starter.

@luke Thanks for the response.

It is hypothetically possible to do login/auth based content protection on the Starter plan.
If you tell us more about your plan, we can confirm if it will work that way or not.

Is it possible to use Firebase Auth to authenticate users on Starter plan with Gatsbyjs client only routes?
To me it seems possible.

Hey @kaushalyap,

I don’t see why not – there’s a few different examples out there, such as this example of securing Netlify functions using Firebase!