Do I need an account with DNSimple if I'm using Netlify DNS?

Hi, you can register a domain name with Netlify and there is always a cost associated with doing this with any registrar. (To be clear, we use an API and the actual domain registrar is Name.com, not Netlify.)

1. I just realized that I need to pay for the domain name premiumpokertools.com . I’m currently using DNSimple to do that. Is it possible to use Netlify to do that?

You can use our DNS service, but there is no way to transfer the domain registration itself to Netlify because we are not a registrar.

1. What’s the deal with that SOA record type? It seems that Netlify doesn’t offer it. Is it needed?

The SOA (start of authority) record is required for all registered domains. If you use Netlify DNS, an SOA record is created automatically for you.

1. I’m not looking for any fancy bells and whistles, just to save money if possible and increase speed if possible. With that said, what would the advantages of Netlify DNS be? Would it be faster than alternatives?

If you use Netlify DNS, it enables some features of Netlify (like SSL certificates for branch subdomains), to work automatically instead of requiring manual steps. Using Netlify DNS does eliminate one step in the DNS lookup process (the CNAME to A record step - it skips straight to the A record) but the speed difference will only be a few milliseconds and won’t be noticeable in most cases

If there are other questions, please let us know.