DNS for external domain

Hi, I did got through all the steps to set up a DNS service for an external Domain.
That was last week and still not working, when I try to visit my website (my external domain) it says is not found.

I did contact with my domain provider support (One.com) first and they said everything looks fine from their side.
This is how my DNS settings looks like.
I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Hi @bisby91! Welcome to netlify community.

Did you add the domain to a Netlify site yet? If so, can you link us to it please? Thank you!

Hi Laura,
sorry for the slow reply,
I’ve got my domain registered externaly as it is form another provider,

Everything looks fine, I even enabled the IPv6,
Do you thing I need to add a DNS Record? I don’t think is the problem.
Thanks

Hi, @bisby91. I don’t see any sites created for this team at Netlify here:

If you want to connect this domain with a site at Netlify, this would normally be done under Site Name > Settings > Domain management > Custom domains.

If you want to point the domain to a site outside of Netlify, this is usually done using CNAME, A, and/or AAAA type DNS records provided by the company which hosts the site in question.

Would you please let us know which of these two you are trying to do? (In other words, are you trying to link the domain to a site at Netlify or link the domain to a site elsewhere?)

Also, if you want to link it to a site at Netlify, which site is it?

Hi Luke,
Thank you very much for your response.
It will be a site outside of Netlify. So I’m looking at my Domain’s provider profile and does give me the options of Standard DNS settings> “AAAA” & “A”.

Also they give me the option of “create new records”

So, Shall I copy from them the A & AAAA records over to Netlify? If so, will it be in : DNS settings > Add a new record?

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Hi, @bisby91, you can create the records in Netlify DNS if you want to point that domain elsewhere.

However, if you are not going to be using this domain with a Netlify site it might be better to completely disable the Netlify DNS configuration for this domain and just make the changes with the DNS configuration at the domain registrar.

If you want to take this path, first delete the Netlify DNS configuration using the “Delete DNS zone” button here.

Once this is done, then delete the Netlify DNS name server (NS) entries at the registrar and revert to using the name servers of the domain registrar again. If there are questions about do this, the domain registrar should be the best source of information about the solution. (We are happy to assist if there are questions but the setting is with the registrar itself).

Note, the “time to live” (or TTL) values for the NS records are currently set to 172800 (which is the TTL in seconds):

cristianramon.co.uk.	172800	IN	NS	dns1.p02.nsone.net.
cristianramon.co.uk.	172800	IN	NS	dns2.p02.nsone.net.
cristianramon.co.uk.	172800	IN	NS	dns3.p02.nsone.net.
cristianramon.co.uk.	172800	IN	NS	dns4.p02.nsone.net.

This means that, once you revert to using your previous DNS service, it will likely take 48 hours (172800 seconds) for this change to be reflected everywhere on the internet.

If you want to keep using Netlify DNS, then you can add the “required DNS records” to our service to point the domain elsewhere. The key here is that I don’t know what the “required DNS records” are. That information is determined by the web host (or other hosting type) you want to direct the domains to.

However, if you tell us what the “required DNS records” are, we will be happy to help you get them working at Netlify if there are any issues.

Again though, if you are not hosting this domain at Netlify it is probably best not to use our DNS service.

If there are any questions about this, please let us know.

Hi @luke,
Yes I would like to keep my external domain with Netlify and I did copy and paste the NameServers in to my Domain from Netlify,
the thing is in my Domain service I’ve got the DNS records disabled or blank by default, so my question is, Shall I configure or fill up the DNS records in both places (my domain and Netlify) to make it work?
In that case see my domain’s DNS records config:

As you can see the only DNS record enabled is the “A” one and doesn’t let me Enable the rest, also the fields to fill up are slighly different from the ones on Netlify.
Thank you very much for your help I really appreciate it, in my domain service didn’t help me as much as you. :slight_smile:

Hi, @bisby91. If you want to keep using Netlify DNS, then the solution is to copy “the required DNS records” into Netlify DNS.

However, we at Netlify have no way of knowing what “the required DNS records” are.

They did exist with your previous DNS service. The solution of copying them to Netlify DNS means finding the records at the previous service first.

This topic covers that in more detail:

There are likely MX and TXT type records which should be copied. There can also be CNAME and/or A records required for subdomains of your domain referenced in other records.

The key here is finding the right records to copy to Netlify. It might be helpful to contact the provider of the email service and ask them what records you need to add if you don’t find them in the previous DNS service.

Looking at the screenshot, I would recommend clicking on all the tabs at the top (like MX, TXT, SRV, etc) and copying down all the DNS records you see in those tabs. Then determine which ones need to be copied to Netlify and create them with Netlify DNS as well.

If you are unsure which ones to copy, please let us know what records you find and we’ll do our best to filter the list for the records to copy to Netlify. (It is possible at all the records at the previous service should be copied but it is impossible to say without knowing what those are.)

With a complete list of the previous records, we can help you get the copied here. As before, please let us know there are other questions about this.