Disable Large Media – and recommendations for alternatives

I have some audio files added to Large Media, for my site i-dont-know-where-paradise-is.netlify.app. I read through the docs and understood that it might not work for streaming audio, but thought I would try it out anyway. Sure enough, the Large Media hosting has issues with range requests (for the record, I support any feature requests to allow nlm to support these), and I will need to find alternative solutions.

I am developing my repo alone, and so have just a single remote and a single local copy. I have a handful of commits that set up LFS (one for .lfsconfig, one for .gitattributes, one for the files themselves). I don’t have experience with LFS and so I do want your advice to get this right. What are the steps I need to take?

Also, are there any recommendations you can give for alternative solutions? My files aren’t that huge, under 100MB in total. My main motivation for trying the service was actually because I want to be able to make my repo public (for portfolio purposes) but not expose the audio as part of that, since it belongs to my client. I’m not sure if LFS is the best solution for that, or there are other approaches you might recommend I look into?

Hi, @baffalop, if you want to uninstall the Large Media add on, there is more information about doing this here:

If you have read that, please confirm you have backups of all files and let us know you are ready for us to disabled the add-on.

Regarding a configuration which allows you to make part of your repo public while certain file are not in the repo, you might host those images in a different repo and then link to those images from the other site. In other words, two repos and two sites. One repo would be public and the other would be private.

If you have images using Git LFS, it is not a requirement to use Large Media. Large Media is available but you can also use the Git LFS service where the repo is hosted.

If there are other questions, please let us know. Likewise, if we should disable Large Media for this site, just give the word and we’ll reply once it is done.

Hi Luke, thanks for your reply and your advice.

I’ve read through the guide now, I have backups of all my files, and I’d like you to disable Large Media for the site now.

I will probably stick with Git LFS through Github for now, keep my repo private, and examine other solutions later. I understand that if I keep Git LFS I need to add the necessary environment variables in my site settings before pushing.

I’ll await your confirmation that Large Media has been disabled. Thanks again.

Hey @baffalop,
Can confirm that I’ve just disabled Large Media- let us know if we can help with anything else!

Hi, thanks for removing the service swiftly. I just got my deploys working. I removed .lfsconfig and hoped Github would take over LFS, but it wasn’t quite that simple. I hope a bit of feedback might go towards improving your docs a little:

• At first I was unsure of the format of the value for GIT_LFS_FETCH_INCLUDE. It was only when a bit of googling revealed that fetchinclude is a git setting that I found out it should be in glob format. I think an example value for this variable, and/or a link to documentation on fetchinclude, would go a long way here.
  • Once I got the configuration, I found that the Netlify deploy was failing to download the LFS files. Nothing in the steps I’d taken had triggered a reupload to Github: I needed a git lfs push --all. It would be great if your Uninstalling Large Media guide could note that this step is required if you’re changing to a different LFS provider.

Nevertheless, I got there fairly quickly. Thanks again for your help!

thanks for your thoughts, @baffalop! I agree that we can be a bit clearer in a few places. We’ll try and integrate your feedback.

1 Like