Disable forced HTTPS

The netlify site name is: note-staging.revealbio.com

I think we had originally enabled the forced HTTPS feature, but recently found some issues. Im trying to debug things now by going to just the HTTP version of the site, but I cant find a way to disable the forced HTTPS settings. Is there a way to disable this feature?

2 Likes

Hi, @revealbio and welcome to the Netlify community site. :+1:

All sites at Netlify at HTTPS only by default. We have a blog post about this here:

It isn’t possible to disable this setting. If there are other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Right, the Netlify sites are HTTPS by default. However, when you add a custom domain, there is an option to force HTTPS. If you enable that, there doesn’t seem to be a way to disable it.

Hey there. We force HTTPS by default. I believe what you’re talking about is the time between adding a custom domain and the issuing of an SSL cert. This isn’t usually very long at all, regardless of whether the enable button is hit.

Thanks for the response. So, it doesn’t matter if I hit the “force HTTPS” button or not, it will always, eventually be HTTPS only?

As far as I’m aware, that’s correct. Let’s Encrypt renews or issues certificates quite regularly so what you’ve seen is a small lapse between the automatic process and the manual option :smile:

I really need a way to access a website via HTTP in order to test in on Android 4.1 (Android 4.1 emulator doesn’t support the modern HTTPS). Please add an option to disable the HTTPS redirect.

1 Like

hi @Finesse , totally get what you are saying, but unfortunately this is such an uncommon edge case that we are very unlikely to change the way our global services work for it! Sorry, I wish I had better news.

No problem, I’ll find another solution

Hey @Finesse, did you find any alternative platforms or solution to this problem? Unfortunately I’ve run into same issue with need to host site on http but could not find any options. Hopefully you’ve worked something out and can help me too. Thanks!

@Janak, GitHub Pages and Ngrok don’t enforce HTTPS

Can you give some reference that how did you manage to deploy it with HTTP?

Hi @shubhammt20,

Non-HTTPS is not supported on Netlify. So, they might have chosen some other service as listed above.

1 Like

I know this probably has no bearing on anything, but I have to voice a +1 on adding an option to disable HTTPS. My website must be compliant with NetFront and the browser does not accept Let’s Encrypt certificates. I’m not buying a certificate from VeriSign just to apply to a website that doesn’t hold any sort of sensitive information.

Hi, @rari-teh. I must be clear that it is very unlikely that Netlify will ever change this. That said, we do appreciate your input.