Deploy Notification for not auto-publishing project

Yes, when you’ve locked your deploy, it is locked until you manually choose another deploy to publish. If you have locked and keep making changes so new code is building, it will not be published.

If you are trying to notify developers on your team that something has been built / deployed but not published yet I believe you can use the Deploy Started hook, if you are trying to tell them that something new HAS been published as youve now manually set it to publish maybe you could use the Locked or Unlocked events to notify them of that change. (I remember reading somewhere that the deploy hooks might change to only those that are being published but at the moment I believe it is triggered for all deploys).

Also NOTE: You could follow Manage deploys | Netlify Docs
Whereby in commits you can use [skip ci] in the commit message to skip the deploy?

if you are trying to tell them that something new HAS been published as youve now manually set it to publish maybe you could use the Locked or Unlocked events to notify them of that change.

That’s what I was thinking, but unfortunately, after manually publish, locked and unlocked notification are not triggered. When you use the publish button, if we want at a critical state (publish a new version of website) communicate to team, it’s not possible for now. Locked notification could have been amazing if it was trigger with auto-publish when it’s lock to last build, or when it’s manually publish.

Thanks for that explanation, Luc! We do have an open feature request to better report that status: a new deploy was published manually though deploys were otherwise locked. I’ve added your voice to it!

For now our best advice is probably not to use the manual deploy button if you use locked deploys and need notifications - you can instead deploy with the CLI and then use either the API or the UI to manually unlock, publish, and relock, so you see all the notifications. Let me know if you want API help - you can do everything (deploy, unlock, publish, re-lock) via it if you’d rather build a workflow that you can direct your teammates to so they don’t work outside the system again :slight_smile: