Delete NETLIFY IPv6 records

My github brings up the following error. Your site’s DNS settings are using a custom subdomain, josephtejeda.me, that’s set up with an AAAA record. GitHub Pages currently does not support IPv6. Can you change the dns record thats AAAA or change any setting that’s IPv6 into IPv4 so that the website works on my github

Hi, @Joe-T-Codez. The NETLIFYv6 type DNS records (which are AAAA “alias records”) have been deleted.

If there are other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Thanks for getting back to me. Github is now giving me the error message “Domain does not resolve to the Github Pages server” which I think is because the two deleted records had 2 of the ips pointing toward the github pages server but I’m not completely sure. Do you know of this is the reason? And if it is can I know which 2 ips I need to put in the DNS panel

@Joe-T-Codez, I deleted the NETLIFYv6 type records which are “alias” records which resolve to different IP addresses for different Netlify CDN/ADN nodes around the world. The “alias” records will send people in the EU to a CDN node in Frankfurt and people in Australia to a CDN node in Sydney.

However, the alias records would never direct a domain name to a GitHub server. In other words, deleting the NETLIFYv6 records didn’t delete anything pointing to GitHub, only to records pointing to Netlify’s systems.

Regarding what are the correct IP addresses for GitHub Pages, that would be a question best asked of the support team at GitHub (as I personally have no idea). I would answer if I knew but I don’t know much at all about GitHub Pages.

Hi Luke
I’m having the same issue.
Can you please delete the IPv6 records in my account?

hi Meir, we’d need to know which account to do that :slight_smile:

hey meir,

if we remove the records, your site will not be accessible until you re-configure the domain. Is that ok? if not, then we need to know where to point the domain to first.

Yes Its ok.
I need it to point to GitHub, I can configure it after.
Thanks Perry!

Hey @Meir, we just deleted those IPv6 records for you. Please let us know if you need anything else.

Thank you for your support!

1 Like