Custom Domain Name Activation

Hi, I would like to know if i can use two custom domains on a netlify account together. My .tech domain is expiring soon and would love to replace it with a .com domain. Is this possible or i would have to remove the .tech for .com?

Hi, @DamilolaA, and welcome to the Netlify community site. :+1:

Yes, it is possible to have multiple domains working with a Netlify site and/or account. All combinations will work.

You can show the same content at two different domains at the same time (one site with two or more custom domains). You can 301 redirect one domain to a different domain. You can also have multiple custom domains linked to different Netlify sites also (example: three domains and three different sites).

​Please let us know if there are other questions.

Hi Luke, thanks for your response. I’ve tried this already but the .com domain is not working.

Hi, @DamilolaA, both the www subdomain and the custom domain damilola.tech point to our our load balancer IP address of 104.198.14.52.

While this works, it is not our recommended configuration and this current configuration will affect the site performance. (All the traffic points to a single load balancer and not our complete CDN/ADN.

Also, I can see from the screenshot that Netlify DNS is enabled for damilola.tech at Netlify but this configuration is not active or being used at this time.

Here is my recommended solution:

1. Delete the Netlify DNS configuration for damilola.tech here.
  2. Following the external DNS instructions, create the following two CNAME DNS records:
www.damilola.tech.		        3600	IN	CNAME	damilola.netlify.com.
www.damilolaajiboye.com.		3600	IN	CNAME	damilola.netlify.com.
  1. Create an A record for the apex/root domain point that to our load balancer IP address and do not make it the primary domain (don’t worry - it isn’t the primary domain already so just don’t change that):
damilola.tech.		3600	IN	A	104.198.14.52

Note, those records are created where the domains are registered, not at Netlify. (If you want to use Netlify DNS there are different instructions for that.)

Once those settings have taken effect (taking into account the time to live values of the previous records), all three domains will point to this Netlify site and the automatic Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate can be provisioned once that is working.

If this doesn’t work and/or if there are any questions, please let us know.

Hi Luke, Thanks for the help so far. I have updated the details from the domain host but not working yet.

Hi, @DamilolaA,

I’m still not seeing the required DNS records for any of those domain names. If the DNS records don’t exist, the names won’t point to Netlify. If the domain names don’t point to Netlify, we cannot issue SSL certificates for them and the site content cannot be served for the domain names.

For www.damilola.tech, there is a record which does not point to Netlify:

$ dig www.damilola.tech +noall +answer

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> www.damilola.tech +noall +answer
;; global options: +cmd
www.damilola.tech.	299	IN	A	209.99.40.220

That IP address (209.99.40.220) is not one used by our service.

For the domain damilolaajiboye.com, that domain appears to actually be unregistered at this time. You would need to register that domain before it can be used.

$ whois damilolaajiboye.com | tail -n 5
# whois.verisign-grs.com

No match for domain "DAMILOLAAJIBOYE.COM".
>>> Last update of whois database: 2020-03-23T02:17:40Z <<<

The “No match for domain” means there is no registration active for this domain.

For www.damilola.tech, what does the DNS record look like with the registrar’s DNS service? Would you please send us a screenshot of that?

​Please let us know if there are any other questions about this.

Thank you Luke. I’ve been able to sort it out. Apparently, there was a text missing in the domain name. Thanks for your help.

1 Like