My goal is to apply the custom domain examples.ml5js.org to a Netlify site with the base domain ml5-examples.netlify.com. I’m receiving this error after the site was transitioned from an old account to a new account. The version of the site on the old account was successfully able to accept this custom domain before the old account was deleted, but I’m not sure if the person who deleted the old account freed the custom domain before deleting it.
Our domain is managed by Google Domains and I’m trying to use a CNAME record to point the examples subdomain to our Netlify site at ml5-examples.netlify.com.
I’ve seen a few other questions about this topic
- Custom_domain is owned by the other account
- Custom_domain is owned by other account
- Can't use deleted account's domain - “custom_domain is owned by the other account”
Each of these either discusses deleting a DNS zone, references another post, or has a user-specific solution.
- I don’t understand the concept of “deleting a DNS Zone”. If my domain is managed by Google Domains, how do I do this? I’ve deleted the examples CNAME record on Google Domains for now.
- Is it possible that this happened because the custom domain wasn’t freed before deleting the account?
Thanks for your help! Happy to promptly provide any additional details that you need!