Custom_domain is owned by another account error

Hi,

I had another netlify account where I linked my domain and it worked like a charm. However, I have stopped using that account and and wanted to change the domain to the new account but I keep getting the error “custom_domain is owned by another account”.

Steps I have taken:

1. I have removed the domain from the old account.
  2. I have changed the DNS settings for my domain to point to the new netlify site name

It still keeps giving me that error, I’ve read many posts about this error, it looks like the netlify team has to reset the configuration or something like that? I’ve listed all the details I think are important below.

Domain name: Joshuajosephmyers.com

New Account:
Account team: JoshBot-Debug’s team
New Account Site name : gifted-ritchie-e93fc3.netlify.app

Old Account:
Account team: Josh’s team
Old Account Site name: nostalgic-lovelace-ade4bd.netlify.app

Some screenshots:

Apparently new users can add only one image to the post? Anyways, here are the two records I’ve added for my domain.

A - @ - 104.198.14.52 - 600 seconds
CNAME - www - gifted-ritchie-e93fc3.netlify.app - 1 Hour

I look forward to your reply, stay safe!

Regards,
Josh

Hey there, this is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

https://app.netlify.com/sites/SITE-NAME/settings/domain#custom-domains > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If you’re not sure, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

Hi Perry,

Thank you for the reply! :slight_smile:

I have removed the domain from the other account, but the custom_domain error is still there.

I have added the verification TXT record to my domain,
Name: verified-for-netlify
Value: Custom_domain is owned by another account error
TTL: 1 hour

Thank you for helping me with this, I appreciate it

Hey Perry,

Have you received my reply? I don’t mean to rush you, I’m just checking because I still can’t add the domain to my new account, even though I’ve deleted it from my old account.

I’ve added the TXT verification record to the domain

Hey Joshua! Sorry to be slow to get back to you but we aren’t open on the weekends :slight_smile:

I see that the domain is active in your other account, so you can self-serve on fixing this up!

1. start by logging out of Netlify. You’ll need to logout, so you can…
  2. Log back in with your @outlook.com email address. You can also login using GitHub to that other account, and navigate to this page: https://app.netlify.com/teams/josh101/dns/joshuajosephmyers.com#delete-dns-zone
  3. delete the DNS Zone
  4. then in your new account, recreate it: https://app.netlify.com/teams/joshbot-debug/dns
  5. next, at your registrar, update the name servers. The list will almost certainly change SLIGHTLY - one digit in each of the nameserver hostnames (e.g.: dns1.p0Y.nsone.net - the “Y” will change in each entry!)
  6. Finally, you can assign the custom domain to your new site, and we will automatically create new DNS records for you.

I see, sorry for being impatient! :slight_smile:

Anyways, thank you so much!! I was choosing my site and then removing the domain from that site. I had no idea that the domain is linked to the netlify team.

I followed your instructions and got everything working 10 minutes after I woke up from bed, time to eat breakfast now. :smiley:

I appreciate the help I got from both you and Perry, have a nice week guys…!

Thanks again. :slight_smile: