Creating users via the API

I’m looking to see if it’s possible to create a user account and deploy a site on the user’s behalf?

Does the Netlify API documentation method allow for creation of the free plan account? I can only seem for it to accept the paid plan ids.

Essentially we want to onboard users onto Netlify, is this feasible at all?

Hi Benjamin,

Nope, you’d have to be an official reseller, with a contract, to create or manage free accounts for others. This is not a common use case, but our sales team would be happy to talk about a contract if you’re interested. Note that anyone reselling our service (charging others to set up websites we host) would need to have this discussion no matter how they are using our platform - API or just within a single account that they manage for themselves.

Regardless, using a normal API token, you can only create new paid teams for yourself, since that is all folks are intended to be able to do (via API or UI) - create additional PAID, not FREE, teams, for themselves.

Let me know if you’d like the sales team to get in touch to talk about how we can enable that workflow, but regardless, please do upgrade to a paid account if you are reselling our services :slight_smile:

Yep, that would be great if they could get in touch! Thank you.

1 Like