[Common Issue] How do I transfer my domain name to (or away from) Netlify?

answered

Great question!

Answer: you can’t transfer a domain name to Netlify - but, if you buy a domain using Netlify you can transfer them to another company.

Wait?!? What???

Netlify is not a domain name registrar. Registrars are the companies and organizations which sell domain names. Only official registrars can accept inbound domain transfers. Because we are not a registrar, you cannot transfer a domain name to us. :+1:

Netlify works equally well with or without the domain under our control, which means you can use Netlify with any domain you own purchased from any registrar. :smile:

So how do I use my domain name with Netlify?

This is covered in our custom domains documentation. The goal of that guide configuring the domain name system (DNS) records for your domain to point to Netlify. And there is more than one way to do this - documented at the link above.

If you are planning the automatic DNS configuration option explained in that doc, there is more information about this in another doc called Managed DNS as well.

What about domains purchased via Netlify?

Can I transfer them to another person or registrar?

Yes, and we are happy to assist with this! Currently, we will need to create a support ticket to complete the transfer. You can contact support by emailing support@netlify.com.

Before we can transfer the domain name to you, we need to create an account with Name.com, the registrar we buy domains through. Then we can transfer the domain name to your account with Name.com.

The basic outline of that process follows:

(Note: The instructions above show the account code at the top right of the page. Name.com has updated their updated user interface and it might be in the middle or towards the bottom now.)

Once you send us the account code, we will start the process of transferring the domain to you. When the transfer is complete, you will be able to do whatever you like with your domain name.

If you have questions, comment below!

Netlify Domains pricing