[Common Issue] Can I host my site on Netlify but keep my DNS at my domain registrar?

You sure can! This will be a three-step process but don’t worry, it’s not that hard.

1. Go ahead and log in to your Netlify account, and add the name of the awesome domain you own to your site.

2. Pull up the website for your domain registrar, aka the place where you bought your domain. You’ll want to navigate to your DNS records section and create these two records there:

Type Name Value
    A @ 104.198.14.52
    CNAME www myawesomedomain.netlify.com

Soooo what’s the point of these records, exactly? Well, we want to ensure that people
    end up at your website whether they type in myawesomedomain.com or www.myawesomedomain.com, so this set up has you covered either way.

3. Finally, go back to Netlify because you’ll want check to make sure there is no DNS zone on your site. The Netlify DNS zone is not necessary when using your registrar for DNS, and we want to avoid any confusion as much as possible. If it exists, it will be listed in the Danger Zone.

Here is how you can check your (or any other domain) in the terminal to make sure the records are set up correctly and ready to go. For myawesomedomain.com, host myawesomedomain.com should return a message including 104.198.14.52. For www.myawesomedomain.com, host www.myawesomedomain.com should return a message including myawesomedomain.netlify.com

If you don’t see the right changes, try repeating the steps, or comment below and we’ll try and assist!

1 Like

Hey @laura, thanks the thorough explanation.

If previously I already have A records with name @ and value for my hosting IP address,
should I just overwrite it with 103.198.14.52 or just make a new records and have 2 A records with @, but 2 different values?

I’ve tried overwriting them but now I can’t receive email on my domain,
But when I’ve 2 A records with @ name, my domain is not serving the netlify website.

You have to check your particular project on Netlify to see what the DNS addresses for your project are.

You can find them under Settings

1 Like

I am asking about the “A” records and what if I already have “A” records in my DNS, should I overwrite it or just have two “A” records in my DNS

Hi @bhmantan! Welcome to our Community!

You’ll definitely want to replace any previous A records with our load balancer, 104.198.14.52. As you’ve discovered, we won’t be able to serve your domain with conflicting A records.

You can check out this post for some email options.

2 Likes

Hello @laura , I am receiving an error when entering the new CNAME into GoDaddy’s DNS records.
Here is a screenshot of the error:

Hi @UpSafetySolutions!

Hmmmm…can you try first deleting this record:

Let us know if that helps.

Okay, I deleted the other CNAME but it still is not up, do I have to wait a certain amount of time before it is processed?
upsafety-new-cname

@UpSafetySolutions I just checked out your site on Netlify - don’t forget Step #1 from the instructions above: Go ahead and log in to your Netlify account, and add the name of the awesome domain you own to your site.

Sorry @laura I was confusing the DNS zone with the custom domain. When I deleted the DNS zone it also deleted my awesome domain name.
It works now! Thanks so much for your reply, it really saved my butt lol :partying_face:

1 Like

So glad its working for you now @UpSafetySolutions!

1 Like