Changes coming to Netlify site URLs: .com to .app

Hello, thanks for the update.

Can I ask what the security reasons are for this change? I’m about the jump into a similar typ of decision.

Cheers,
—Koen

We are moving hosted sites to netlify.app so that only content that we control will remain on netlify.com. This ensures that our main domain will no longer have content that is not under our control.

2 Likes

Heya folks, a few more details:

• @lpuerto and @mrcycling - no, will not affect DNS (will continue working with existing settings at rollover time, regardless of whether we or someone else hosts it). We might have advice about reconfiguring and certainly our docs will update to the new hostname format since we’ll want things to be as obvious as possible.
  • @peter1 - no updates should be needed, so we’re not planning to have general purpose testing open beforehand. We’ll definitely post in this thread as soon as it happens so you can adjust then. If you have a special configuration, please feel free to describe it and if it is not something we’ve already tested we’ll try to work with you to test it before rollout time.
  • @seriocomic - thanks for that suggestion, we’ll add it to the things to investigate before the rollover!
1 Like

Thanks a lot for the info. I re-read later the email and realized that there were stated that those services weren’t going to be affected.

Understandable, thanks for the info. One followup question: What are the reasons you want to keep content on the main .com domain under your control? What are examples of issues?

Lots of reasons, but a big one among them is that we’d like to leave the public suffix list, which we are on due to hosting millions of customer websites on *.netlify.com along with our own - we can’t currently share things like cookies between our *.netlify.com properties (www, app, community for instance).

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Redirect does not work, results in “page not found”

Thanks for the extra info! :+1:

1 Like

Interestingly I am still getting a .com Domain without 301 forward:
nisas-alte-sachen.netlify.com
I mean I do not really care about it but it’s just as a hint that it looks like there is something wrong :wink:

This is going to be implemented next month, not already :slight_smile:

OOps confused march and april. Sorry :smiley:

1 Like

Why netlify.app is not already added to the Public Suffix List? It’s important to add it as early as possible so browsers can have an updated list: Add Netlify domains by verythorough · Pull Request #469 · publicsuffix/list · GitHub

Not sure, I’ll ask our team! Thanks for mentioning it!

1 Like

I might have missed it, but how does this affect lambda functions, is this something that should be changed manually?

It would depend how you use the function as to whether it will be affected. We proxy internally from the /.netlify/functions/functionname path to AWS; that won’t change. So:

• if you call your function as /.netlify/functions/functionanname with no hostname (or even if you proxy from /functionname to that path without a hostname - /functionname /.netlify/functions/functionname 200) - no effects/changes not needed.
  • if you call your function directly (something like a href=https://sitename.netlify.com/.netlify/functions/functionname), we’ll simply 301 redirect that to netlify.app, and run it.

The main thing you’d need to change is if you proxy to us and DO use a NETLIFY hostname - e.g. a redirect like this from “yoursite” to “othersite”:

/functionname https://othersitename.netlify.com/.netlify/functions/functionname 200

• this wouldn’t work as it does today; we’d return the 301 redirect and depending on how you call it, the browser would either sit there witha 301 and no content, or be accessing the function directly from its netlify.app hostname which is probably not ideal if you were using proxying to hide the details of your site layout (“site.com/functionname is REALLY served by netlify!”).

Anyhow, as of yesterday you can update any such redirects that mention sitename.netlify.com to sitename.netlify.app as it’s all configured (except the forced

Thank you, much appreciated!

I just got a reminder about this change via email… it is the first I heard about it. More warning would have been good. I appreciate the free hosting but it is a little painful since all my users will now loose everything they saved to local storage.

Respectfully,

Will my current sites continue to work?

is only really true insofar as “my sites work” means “DNS resolves”. Anything that relies on domain whitelisting is going to break without user action. CORS, for instance. It’s unfortunate that the Easter holidays make up a sizeable portion of the notice window.

1 Like

I feel like the question has been answered already and I am sorry for asking but I want to be 100% sure not to misunderstand the coming changes
My current site has a custom domain from a third-party provider and has the following DNS configuration

A record for mysite.ca points to > nelify (104.198.14.52)
CNAME for www.mysite.ca is set to mysite.netlify.com

From my understanding, all my configuration can stay as is and will be automatically redirected to netlify.app. Please verify if that is correct. Thank you.

Indeed, that is correct @oppenberger! You could adjust it to point to yoursite.netlify.app if you wanted to but it is NOT required in the foreseeable future.

1 Like