Can't change my email

Hi there,

I want to change the email address associated to my Netlify account, even though I receive the email in the new email address account (hosted by gmail), as soon as I click the link, the “link has expired” error message appears:

As a side note, I’m clicking the link within the 30 mins timeframe, and use a VPN from time to time but for these latest tries I disabled it.

Thanks in advance

Could you confirm that you are using the LATEST email from us? I know gmail likes to helpfully “thread” the second+ notices, which have a different link but gmail doesn’t recognize that as “different” enough to show any content in those emails.

Not sure that is it, but it would explain the always-expired nature of an older link if there are newer links in that gmail thread.

Hi! Yes I was aware of that “peculiarity” of gmail… However I made sure I’m accessing the latest one. Even by erasing all the previous emails before trying to send me another email confirmation.

Quite odd. I’m running out of ideas, but let’s try the last easy one:

Could you try once more and gather a bit more data for us? Please wait 1 hour to post that data so your invite code will not be usable by others in case this is a local problem!

1. request the link
  2. when you get the link, make a note of the URL that the button to verify has
  3. when you use the link, record the timestamp and your timezone
  4. make sure you are logged out of netlify before you proceed (in case you have 2 netlify accounts for some reason)
  5. when using the link, use a browser with no extensions or plugins enabled to click it

Let me know how it goes and please include:

• the link
  • and the timestamp/timezone for you using it

so I can try to correlate the failed login events in our internal logs.

Thanks!

Hi there! Was this ever able to be resolved? I’m running into the same issue when I try to change my email!

Hi, @carolineknetsch. We didn’t hear back from the person above.

If you are running into the same issue, first please try opening the link itself in a different web browser. If that works, you will have change the email but the issue still exists with the original browser. Please try clearing the browser cache if this happen on the browser where this occurs.

If this occurs with another browser as well, would you please send the same information requested above (quoted below)?

Could you try once more and gather a bit more data for us? Please wait 1 hour to post that data so your invite code will not be usable by others in case this is a local problem!

1. request the link
  2. when you get the link, make a note of the URL that the button to verify has
  3. when you use the link, record the timestamp and your timezone
  4. make sure you are logged out of netlify before you proceed (in case you have 2 netlify accounts for some reason)
  5. when using the link, use a browser with no extensions or plugins enabled to click it

Let me know how it goes and please include:

• the link
  • and the timestamp/timezone for you using it

​Please let us know if there are any questions and we look forward to getting this resolved.

So sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier folks! Wasn’t available for the last days…

So, I tried the steps above with no luck, I’m providing the response headers as well as the link and time.

The button link:
https://mandrillapp.com/track/click/31128206/app.netlify.com?p=eyJzIjoiVUxtUjJ3a0M1aVRMUGtTckphM21aZlhGRzZrIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjozMTEyODIwNixcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwczpcXFwvXFxcL2FwcC5uZXRsaWZ5LmNvbVxcXC9lbWFpbC12ZXJpZmljYXRpb25cXFwvI3ZlcmlmeV90b2tlbj01YWY0ZGRiMDA3MzNkNTA3YjgwZTg0ZDUtNTc0YmVhYmViNDdhOWIyZTlmZjViNWU4YzJjZDhkZWFcIixcImlkXCI6XCIzYWI5YmM0MWM4MDg0M2RiYjg4NWRmMTAxN2UzOWQ0ZFwiLFwidXJsX2lkc1wiOltcIjIwMjkwM2UxNzQ3N2VjNTY4MWVhODQwMjAwMmRlZDEwNDU1MjdhMmZcIl19In0

Time:
Recorded in the browser: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 19:39:20 GMT Actual location time Fri, 21 Aug 2020 13:39:20 GMT-6 which is my local time zone.

Response Headers:

1. cache-control:
    no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0

2. content-encoding:
    gzip

3. content-type:
    text/html; charset=utf-8

4. date:
    Fri, 21 Aug 2020 19:39:20 GMT

5. expires:
    Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT

6. location:
    https://app.netlify.com/email-verification/#verify_token=5af4ddb00733d507b80e84d5-574beabeb47a9b2e9ff5b5e8c2cd8dea

7. pragma:
    no-cache

8. server:
    nginx/1.4.6 (Ubuntu)

9. set-cookie:
    PHPSESSID=71732946802b5e15f66f67bdfe890d34; expires=Sat, 22-Aug-2020 05:39:20 GMT; path=/; secure; HttpOnly

10. set-cookie:
    PHPSESSID=71732946802b5e15f66f67bdfe890d34; expires=Sat, 22-Aug-2020 05:39:20 GMT; path=/; secure; httponly

11. transfer-encoding:
    chunked

12. vary:
    Accept-Encoding

That “expires” one looks funny to me, not sure if it indicates the same timestamp the system takes into account for checking the validation of the verification link.

Thanks!

Hi, @hsaenz, would you please request a new password reset email? After doing that, please test opening that link in a different browser.

To do this right click the “Reset password” button in the email and choose the copy link address option. Then paste that URL into the address bar of a different browser.

Note, if you accidentally click the link it can only be used once and therefore won’t work in the new browser. If this happens, request a new reset password email.

I ask this because I just tested the password reset process for this account and the reset happened successfully. This means the issue is likely a local browser/network issue. There is no problem with the email or the link itself.

If you still cannot login, please let us know.