Cannot add an A record

Hi,

I’m getting the following error when trying to add an A record:

dns_api antarapacker.com - antarapacker.com/A: 400 - link exists, all config must be empty

I read in another thread that this can only be fixed by deleting the NETLIFY records, which can only be done by the support team.

Can you please do that for me? Thanks

That would take your netlify site currently served at that address, down. If that’s what you want, please remove the config from the site first (here: https://app.netlify.com/sites/antarapacker-5d4d7/settings/domain#custom-domains), and let us know, and then we’ll get it removed.

If that’s not what you are trying to accomplish, could you please explain your goal so we can give you the best advice?

I’m trying to point my subdomain to my Google App Engine instance. That requires me to add a CNAME record, A records and AAAA records

I do want to keep my netlify website because my domain is pointed to netlify server.

How can I keep both?

Hi, @antarapacker. The NETLIFY/NETLIFYv6 type DNS records will prevent any A, AAAA, and/or CNAME records for the same domain name.

So, if there is an NETLIFY record for example.com then you won’t be able to make CNAME or A record for example.com. (You can make AAAA records for that domain name unless there is a NETLIFYv6 record for it and then they will be prevented also.)

However, if you want to make an A, AAAA, or CNAME record for a subdomain (like www.example.com) that will work as long as no NETLIFY/NETLIFYv6 records exist for that name.

The error at the top of this topic occurs when trying to add an A record for the apex/root domain (antarapacker.com) when a NETLIFY type record also exists for the apex/root domain.

For that apex domain, it is either/or but not both:

• a NETLIFY type DNS record pointing that apex/root domain to a Netlify site

or:

• A, AAAA, and/or CNAME records pointing that domain outside of Netlify

Which of these do you want to do?

The error at the top of this topic occurs when trying to add an A record for the apex/root domain ( antarapacker.com ) when a NETLIFY type record also exists for the apex/root domain.

That wasn’t my intention. I wanted to add an A record for subdomain (not root), but looks like you’re right. It’s trying to add an A record to the root domain. Do you know how can I add an A record for subdomain?

For that apex domain, it is either/or but not both:

• a NETLIFY type DNS record pointing that apex/root domain to a Netlify site

or:

• A, AAAA, and/or CNAME records pointing that domain outside of Netlify

Which of these do you want to do?

I want to keep NETLIFY type DNS record that is pointing apex/root domain to a Netlify site.

@antarapacker, click the “Add record” button here:

https://app.netlify.com/account/dns/antarapacker.com

Then change the “Name” field from @ to the subdomain you want to add the a record for. ​Does that work?

Please let us know if there are other questions about this.