Bug in DNS when 2 same entries and delete 1. They both are deleted

I found a bug in the way DNS entries are managed.

I updated 3 DNS entries for my domain (camping-arolla.com) in order to manage mail on gandi.net.
Works fine. I had 60 seconds TTL just for the setup/test.

Everithing was right, mail was working. DNS tests where OK.

Then I decided to put a proper TTL time to 3600.
As we can’t “modify” an entry, i decided to create a new one then deleted the old one.

So I had

Then I deleted the old one and I got

And the mail stoped working. No more MX entries.
After some (stressed :slight_smile:) testing I decided to delete the 3 entries and recreate them.
And It worked again.

So I think that deleting an entry and keeping the other one listed make the whole entry disapear, event the other one is still listed but not propagated.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Hey @divinerites,
Sorry you ran into this! We appreciate the report. It’s true that if the record type and value are the same, deleting one record will delete them both; we don’t hold on to two records that are exactly the same except TTL.

What would have been helpful in this situation? A warning when you hit delete that says “Are you sure you want to delete these records?” Or would you just want to see your changes reflected in the UI- i.e., if you don’t actually have the remaining records, then don’t show them?

Hey thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, after I understood that the record was not there, I was wondering this was the explanation. Makes sense.

What would be helpful would be : not seing a record that doesn’t exists.

• "A warning when you hit delete that says “Are you sure you want to delete these records?” : yes if I see that BOTH will be deleted. And after deleting, no more record.

• A better thing could be to not allow me to create a duplicate record, with a warning explaining that “we don’t hold on to two records that are exactly the same except TTL.”.

• A third option could be to allow me to “edit” the record. So no need to duplicate.

But the worst is to see something who is not there :slight_smile:

Anyway thanks for a fantastic product as a whole (netlify). A real game changer for me.

1 Like

These are great, thanks! We have open issues internally about #2 (warning before duplicate/conflicting records) and #3 (editable records). But I will open one for “don’t show records that don’t exist.”

Super glad to hear that you’re otherwise enjoying Netlify :raised_hands: :tada: