Bandwidth usage chart over time

Hi @perry,

Thank you for your reply. It was 59 GB when I first checked after receiving the email. Then less than 12 hours later it was 64 GB. After reverting my previous code changes, another 12 hours later, it is still 64 GB, so I am crossing my fingers that the issue is resolved.

If usage still looks okay after a day or so then I will also turn on asset optimization. That seems to be Netlify’s way of enabling browser caching.

I wanted to enable browser caching in a more non Netlify-specific way. I wonder what I misunderstand about Netlify’s caching and how bandwidth is calculated. Prior to making the code changes, I carefully read Netlify’s blog post on caching. I also read the linked Google article on ETags, it seems fairly straightforward.

The site, reveddit.com, is mostly javascript (formerly a single file, now several via route-based code splitting in React), so every time I do a build, most of the asset-data changes. I thought adding a hash to the filenames would not be a big deal since the lion’s share of data changes every time I push an update, and the index.html file is very small. By the way, the now-reverted hash was changing every build, but again I don’t see why that caused such an increase in bandwidth given the nature of the site.

After writing this post, I found this post from Chris where he writes,

it seems like you are using hashes in your assets which will make your cache-control headers pointless.

So I guess there is something that isn’t clicking for me. It seems like the OP of that post doesn’t fully understand it either.

It would be nice to be able to see prior months’ bandwidth usage, even if it’s just a basic list. Thanks again!