Amending a-record

My client would like an a-record amended, however I have been unable to do so. The details from Yell are as follows:

• Amend an A-record (domain.com) to the following settings:
    Name/Alias: Either leave this blank or insert ‘@’, this is dependent on the domain provider
    Target/destination: 3*.*..1
    TTL (optional): 7200

Amend a C-name record with the following settings:
Name/Alias: www
Target/Destination: ****
TTL (optional): 7200

Hi there! Can you let us know the name of your site on Netlify?

Hey - it’s h-a-removals.com

You’ll be able to make edits to your DNS records here: Netlify App

What is happening when you try to edit these?

When I try to edit the a-record I get ‘* This is a system record that cannot be managed directly.’

I am not seeing an A record on that page. Can you try adding the record? There is a button to add a new record at the bottom of the existing records.

When trying to add a new a-record I get ‘dns_api h-a-removals.com - h-a-removals.com/A: 400 - link exists, all config must be empty’

Hi, @Emily_Wheatcroft, there are system records which cannot be deleted except by our support team. These are the NETLIFY and NETLIFYv6 type records here:

Should we delete those records?

Hi Luke - I would just like them updated as in these instructions

If deleting these then recreating them as an a-record with the details above will not cause instability with the site then I’m happy for that to happen

Hi, @Emily_Wheatcroft, I’m not sure if those changes will cause site instability or not. I’m happy to remove the NETLIFY type records an add the two following records:

@   7200    IN    A     35.172.94.1
www 7200    IN    CNAME yell.multiscreensite.com

Actualy, the second record already exists so I’ll be deleting the NETLIFY type record and creating the first record above:

@   7200    IN    A     35.172.94.1

Should I proceed with doing so?

That would be great, as long as I can have support if it goes wrong :smile:

I’ve made the changes but there were the SSL errors for these two URLs:

• https://h-a-removals.com/
  • https://www.h-a-removals.com/

My best guess is that the new hosting service doesn’t have SSL certificates configured for this domain name yet.

Also, this URL below returned a 404 status and displayed a “Site not found” landing page:

• http://www.h-a-removals.com/

The on page message read:

This site is not published or does not have a domain assigned to it.
If you have any questions, please contact your website administrator.

Because of this, I reverted the changes and restored the previous configuration where the site is hosted at Netlify.

My best guess is that the new site/host wasn’t prepared to receive traffic for this domain name. It might help to contact the new hosting company’s support team to ask them about this.

Should I delete the NETLIFY type DNS records again or should I leave this configured they it is currently for now (which is the Netlify hosted configuration)?

Please let us know how you would like to proceed and/or if there are any other questions about this.