"404 Not found" after connecting custom domain

Hello,

I’m currently on the free plan and was redirected to the community support, maybe someone will be able to help.

Yesterday we have connected external domain “kosciolwlancaster.org.uk” to our website “https://polska-parafia.netlify.com/”.

So the primary domain is: “www.kosciolwlancaster.org.uk”,

and “kosciolwlancaster.org.uk” should redirect automatically to the primary domain.

Our DNS settings are as follow:

Type A record with “(root)” value is set to Netlify IP 104.198.14.52

and CNAME record with “www” value is set to “polska-parafia.netlify.com

So everything seems to be done according to the documentation but still, after a whole night, the new domain doesn’t work as expected.

I can see “404 Not Found” error on my computer or SSL error on a different device - while what I should see is the blank page with the text “In progress” (with certificate enabled).

I was able to enable the automatic certificate for both “www.kosciolwlancaster.org.uk” and “kosciolwlancaster.org.uk” after clicking “Renew Certificate”, but it didn’t solve the issues.

Maybe someone would be able to point me in the right direction. Did I miss some steps or DNS configuration is incorrect? Or should I just wait even longer?

Thanks!

Paweł

This domain is pointing to this Netlify site when I test and the SSL certificate was issued for it about 90 minutes ago.

The local issues could be caused by delays in the DNS record changes due to caching and time to live values. There is more information about this here:

To troubleshoot this in more detail, we’ll need one of two things.

We need to be able to track the HTTP response with this issue. The fastest way to do this is to send us the x-nf-request-id header which we send with every HTTP response.

There more information about this header here:

If that header isn’t available for any reason, please send the information it replaces (or as many of these details as possible). Those details are:

• the complete URL requested
  • the IP address for the system making the request
  • the IP address for the CDN node that responded
  • the day of the request
  • the time of the request
  • the timezone the time is in

With either set of information above, we’ll be able to research this issue in more detail.

Thanks a lot for such a quick response!
This header in my case is: x-nf-request-id: dee6ea7d-90f7-4d6b-88be-19aabd1596f4-6940800.
However, I must say that as I’m checking it right now - the website is served as intended under the correct domain in all of my browsers, so it would seem that the issue is resolved.
It just took more time than usual.

glad it’s working! we’ll close this thread now :slight_smile: